Saturday, August 08, 2009

Challenger #30


We also heard from Jeff Boman, "one who will not be named", and Ms. Kathrine Jack, Staff Attorney of the National Advocates for Pregnant Women, about the case behind my article "The Best Speech I Never Gave" in Challenger #21 -- and the article itself.

Recall that my client had delivered a premature baby at home, which passed away immediately, and then disposed of the body. She was accused of second-degree murder, a charge I got reduced to a misdemeanor.

Ms. Jack wrote to inform me of her group's existence (since I had trouble contacting NOW) and enclosed a copy of Jeanne Flavin's book Our Bodies, Our Crimes (New York University Press, 2009), which mentions my case (page 84). She paid me an enormous compliment: "We recognize that your zealous advocacy made the difference in getting the murder charge dropped.

"I congratulate you for seeking the truth in Ms.
-----'s medical records. So often, we see that women are blamed for bad birth outcomes when neither medicine nor science supports such conclusions."

How about that? Guy Lillian, feminist champion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home