Friday, February 16, 2007

Robert Kennedy, Camarillo CA,USA


Thank you for sending me your
[L.A.Con IV] report. I printed it out and read the whole thing. That was an incredible trip you and Rosy took.

Some comments:

The Whole Wide World is an outstanding movie. I didn't realize it is on DVD and may order a copy.

It's too bad you didn't get to Santa Barbara. I like to go there a few times a year and have lunch at Moby Dick restaurant on Stearns Wharf. Also, when I have visitors we often go to Santa Barbara. Well, it's only 50 miles from where I live so I guess that it is not a big deal. But, what's a "Kinsey Milhone tour"?

In a subsequent e-mail you acknowledge Sue Grafton’s glorious mystery series – but averred that tours are no longer given! “A” is for Aghast!

The name of the Advent publisher is George W. Price. I'm surprised that you don't know him as he has been in Fandom for a very long time. I'm sure that you know that he and Advent published Joe Major's Heinlein's Children: The Juveniles.

You’ll find a review of Joe’s tome in this issue. It must be nominated for the 2007 Hugo in the “Related Book” category.

I nominated and voted for John Scalzi for the Campbell as well as Best Novel for Old Man's War. When he won the Campbell I thought that he had a good chance for Best Novel. It was not to be and I think he came in third.

Yes, I agree about Dave Langford. He should decline further nominations. He should have done so a number of years ago.

Dave’ s dominance in the Fan Writer Hugo category is due less to his superb qualities than to the cadre which devotes itself to his annual victory. It’s so far from being cute anymore that it isn’t cute anymore. Dave has stated that fandom should give other fan writers a chance – for the sake of the awards, he should insist on it. Besides which, he’s won a pro Hugo. Shouldn’t that disqualify him from fan writer contention?

One of these years Challenger will win Best Fanzine. But, I would also like to see Alexiad get nominated and win.

Amen amen amen.

I agree that Drama Long Form and Short Form should be changed to between movies and TV. I have said as such for a couple of years and that the TV should be for a series, not just an episode. Maybe that would have helped an excellent series like Farscape.

I went to Hoover Dam as a very young person with my parents. There is a 8mm film of me driving a tour boat that, according to my parents, made other passengers angry. I believe that at the time it was called Boulder Dam because FDR would not let it be named after a Republican. Well, considering Hoover's mishandling of the Depression perhaps FDR was correct.

2,901.1 miles traveled on your trip. That's a lot of miles, motels, and gas.

And people, and sights, and experiences. I love traveling by car ... as long as the roads are unfamiliar and the riding is smooth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home