Thursday, September 21, 2006

Terry Jeeves, Scarborough, N. Yorks. U.K.

Very many thanks for the magnificent issue of Challenger which arrived here safely a couple of days ago.

A super cover on C23, but no word of how or what in its creation -- was it a photo, a drawing or a computer graph-ic? Whatever, it is a striking work of art.
Alan White provided a highly entertaining explanation of the creation of his cover art for Chall #15 five years ago; what say we ask him for a sequel about #23? And check out his cover to The Antipodal Route, our DUFF report.
“Gone with the Wind” was a fascinating piece of nostalgia, how is it that past event in one’s childhood are so much more interesting than contemporary events – I have read the type of Con Report which is a mess of “I met so and so, I had a meal with x, y had a sore throat and so on. You avoided that trap.

“Survivor” was a real tour de force and deserves a wider audience than a fanzine. What a determination and refusal to submit to horrible events. It was, is marvelous writing, which did a far better job than newspaper or media breast-beating.

I also enjoyed the meeting with John Campbell, I had the pleasure of meeting him at the 1957 Worldcon in London. I was sitting quietly minding a Hieronymus machine made by Eric Jones when JWC came by and stopped to talk about it. I was too in awe to make a proper set of responses, but I met him.

The piece on toilets reminded me of some unusual ones I have met. On the Frontier mail from Bombay to Delhi, a 24 hour trip, the toilet was a small cubicle with two painted footprints which told you where to crouch and hope your aim (and that of the last person) was true. A similar hole in the ground was standard on 356 Squadron aerodrome where I lost a full cigarette from the back pocket of my shorts. Then there was the time when in a Barcelona toilet I was peacefully standing and minding my own business when an old crone came along whisking a twig broom around my feet. The most unusual was on a troop ship going to India. Two long planks were above a gutter down which ran a constant stream of water. It was uncomfortable to sit on the planks but it got even more so when some joker set fire to a bit of old newspaper and dropped it upstream to make its way past half a dozen hot bottoms!

The New Orleans hurricane was a disaster but I`m not so sure that the rescue services were at fault in coping with it. They too had their problems and communications must have been chaotic.

Much more to say, but my back is getting tired. A great issue GUY and like you, I am not a lover of e-fanzines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home