Thursday, September 21, 2006

Chris M. Barkley, Middletown, OH, USA

I must admit upon reading it, Challenger 23 is your finest hour.

Having been only been once to the Big Easy (for NolaCon II in 1988), I had very little to offer in the way reminiscing about what a wonderful city it was.

What I do remember most is that New Orleans, street for street, block for block, had more ambiance and excitement than any other Worldcon venue I have ever
visited. And now, having read the trials and anguish of Dennis Dolbear, Peggy Ransom, Don Markstein, Joe Major, John Guidry and Linda Krawecke brought tears to my eyes.

Most affecting were Dennis’ harrowing tale and your remembrance of the late Cynthia Marie Snowden, a kind soul who deserved a better fate than what she was dealt.

I have been following the continuing coverage on the recovery efforts (mostly through National Public Radio) and the attempts of people to return to rebuild. While I am not very assured by what I have seen and heard so far, I have a faint hope that the people of New Orleans will eventually come together and rebuild their community. I only wish that I were in a position to go help myself. I’m also glad you and Rosy weren’t caught up in this disaster.

Joseph L. Green’s “Our Five Days with John W. Campbell”, Jr. was fascinating as well. One of my regrets in life was that I never had the opportunity to meet him because I’m sure we would have had a very interesting encounter. Having read quite a bit about Campbell, I am sure that for the most part he was not overtly or consciously racist in debating the advantages of slavery with Mr. Green, he was just being provocative to test his meddle. Joe’s descriptions of Campbell’s visit to the Vertical Assembly Building were riveting.

I also must praise Alan White’s cover; howcum he hasn’t won a Hugo for Best Fan Artist yet? I’ll be sure to remember him on my ballot this year.
I wish more fans had done so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home