Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Sheryl Birkhead, Gaithersburg MD

The J.K. Potter cover on #21 fooled me ­ I would have placed a wager that it was by Al … but I think you can finish off the name ­ total surprise!

“Al” ­ as in Alan White ­ did this issue’s cover. Jeff Potter tells me that the mirrored man on #21 was a reveler he originally photographed at Mardi Gras, and combined with the scene of Boston harbor.

A question about Emerald City ­ I see that it is a nominee for the Fanzine Hugo ­ okay, fair enough. Then, I see that EC is also a nominee in the website category. Hmm. I am assuming that being one does not preclude the other? I would tend to think that this is two shots at the same target ­ yes/no?

EC is clearly a fanzine under Worldcon rules, and it appears on the web, so … why not?


Bob Sabella ­ I am very glad that I heard, early on, that I, Robot was not I, Robot, if you know what I mean, that it drew from Asimov, but was not the book. Knowing that ahead of time helped soften the realization when I saw it.

I also went in knowing that the Will Smith vehicle had next to nothing to do with the Asimov collection, but was still bored with the movie and disgusted with its portrayal of Susan Calvin ­ one of SF’s greatest characters reduced to eye candy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home