Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Trinlay Khadro, Brown Deer Wisconsin USA

Thank you for the introduction to Julie Schwartz – wish I could have met him. He’s certainly one of the godfathers of fandom.

I certainly recognize you in the photos of your younger self.

Great batch of cartoons and art this ish, too.

I’ll always recall “Ronnie” as the man who declared ketchup as adequate for a vegetable serving in school lunches. (As a mom I’ve found that if I stock the fridge with fruit and raw veggies I have to hurry to restock them.)

I loved the Thunderbirds, Stingray and Fireball XL-5 – when I was somewhere between 3 and 7 years old. Was it Stingray that had the Sea Princess who couldn’t/wouldn’t speak? The ads for the live action movie seems absolutely goofy. It would have been better to stick to the puppets IMHO.

I was a little old to appreciate those shows, but have never forgotten the blonde mermaid on Diver Dan.

I got a kick out of Albert Hoffman’s encounter with Death. I’ve always thought of Death as a compassionate, patient “guy” with a difficult job.

Thus the success of Sandman’s sister as a character – and Peter Beagle’s terrific short story “Come Lady Death”.

Iraq abuses editorial – I’m also dismayed by the all-too-common response of “Well, it’s war” and “But look at what they’ve done to Our Boys.” Does anyone remember that Americans used to hold ourselves to a higher standard? I’m heartened to see that so many of us do, but dismayed at a government that has decided that it’s all okay – provided they don’t get caught and no one does it to us.

I think your court stories, including “Dope Court”, should get put into a book – maybe directed to young people. Not as “morality tales” but perhaps a cautionary story that often the consequences are so much more intense and heavy than anyone suspected. Unfortunately, in so much of the country drug treatment is vastly underfunded: but readily available to the wealthy and adequately insured.

E.B – A shoe museum would be intense interest to costumers and ladies like Star Jones (The View and Payless commercials) who avidly adore and collect shoes. I imagine they might restrict access to Imelda Marcos.

Alex and Guy – I like Guy’s take on the pon farr handfasting.

Craig Hilton – “Why are so many people unhappy with what we (the U.S.) do?” In part, because American Culture (architecture, McDonald’s, new-fangled norms and mores) is pushing local culture off the edge. Marginalizing people in their own homes. Can we learn to trade and interact with other nations and cultures without mutating them into slightly exotic versions of ourselves? Can we encourage social and legal reforms when the evils we are protesting are practiced just as avidly here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home