Monday, January 03, 2005

Kathy Chamberlin Westchester Illinois USA

Thanks for the copy of issue #20. I was particularly enamored with “The Resident Patient – a Medical opinion” by Dr. Craig Hilton. For one thing, I am foremost a mystery buff, so I found the subject enticing (can’t have too many dead bodies laying around!). Also, I am a three-time cancer survivor and have spent many days rubbing elbows with medical personnel.

However, what really got my attention was the discussion of the congestive heart failure. My mother was one of the first persons (waaaaay back in 1956 or 1957) to be brought back to life by the use of defibrillation. She went on to live another twenty years (and six grandchildren). However, Dr. Hilton mentions “the results of rheumatic fever, a disease of the poor.” I never heard that before.

My mother (child of white-collar oil company parents) had married my father (child of a blue-collar truck driver). My mother’s mother was one of the pioneers who developed “shopping” into the fine art it is today. So, I was somewhat surprised to see that my mother had developed her heart problem by means of “a disease of the poor.” I’m not really complaining – I’ve just never heard that before, and I wish I had more information on why rheumatic fever is referred to in that way.

Says Dr. Hilton:
“Rheumatic fever is no longer the common disease it was up to a century ago. It is a type of immune reaction to an infection with streptococcus, leading to fever and inflamed joints, and finally life-long disease of the heart valves. Classically, it was most prevalent in the lowest socio-economic groups, where such infections (skin or tonsils) were the most prevalent. My reference to the poor was a classical quote, taught to me when I was in medical school: ‘Rheumatic fever is an acute, reactive, post-infective inflammatory disease affecting the connective tissue of the poor.’ It is unknown in our society, but cases are still seen in Aboriginal communities, such as I encountered in Doomagee.”

Anyway, thanks again — you’re an award winner in my book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home