Thursday, January 06, 2005

E.B. Frohvet, Ellicott City Maryland USA

Regrettably, I never had occasion to meet Julius Schwartz. I never thought of comics fandom and SF fandom having much overlap.

This is the first piece of Frank Wu’s art I have ever seen. Colorful. Acrylics, right? It would require enormous patience to do that sort of thing in oils.

I thought you were a little hard on poor old Reagan. Given that you vigorously disagreed with his policies – it still seems as if you were most ticked off because he was good at putting up a charming facade. He was an actor and a politician. What did you expect? I don’t even think he hated poor people. I think he was just totally oblivious.

Nancy Reagan’s courageous – and wise – campaign on behalf of stem-cell research has won me over insofar as she is concerned, and I applaud Ron Jr.’s public disgust with W, so at least my resentment with RR doesn’t extend to his family. Nor to his movies: he was very fine in Kings Row and Night Unto Night – and never worse than Not Bad.

“The Real Future of Space”: I assume we’re agreed that sub-orbital, a la Bert Rutan, is a dead end, except for tourism. Making sub-orbital economically feasible does not make orbital economically feasible. And no nation on Earth is going to allow nuclears for Earth-launch. So we’re stuck with chemical rockets. Which means we need a chemical heavy-lifter-to-orbit: either the shuttle, or an unmanned large rocket. And someone is going to have to pay for that. Barring some breakthrough that makes orbital launch cost-effective, the U.S. government looks like the only plausible candidate.

(Or, we need to solve the problems of 2005-2007 before we concern ourselves with the problems of 2059.)

Mike Resnick overlooks the fact that movies (yes, even LotR) are made for an audience of 15-year-old boys; not him.

I had the pleasure of meeting Robert Kennedy at Chicon, back in the day when I was still attending conventions.

Craig Hilton’s impression of the U.S. appears to have come from bad news reports. The media in Australia are most likely to see the U.S. through the lens of politics and international affairs, which almost certainly does not represent a fair picture. Feel free to come visit, Craig, you’ll find us more complex – and probably more likable – than your (dare I say “simplistic”?) impression.

But Craig has visited America. I met him here in the mid-eighties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home