Thursday, December 30, 2004

Sheryl Birkhead, Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA

June 26, 2004

Dear Chall crew,

First, my hearty apologies for not having written bettersooner. I realized that something was amiss when I barely squeaked into the WAHF list in #20--well yeah, sure...ya didn’t write much...uh--yup, that’ll do it. So, again, my apologies.

Thanks for letting us know how Sue Mason felt about the Hugo win. I emailed her after I heard the news of her win and told her to enjoy the rest of the convention. She got right back to me and informed me of her true whereabouts.

Just so you know, I looked at one issue of Emerald City and did not get the feel that it was a zine..uh...I hope you know what I mean--maybe my cyber bumblings didn’t get me to the right place, or maybe this was not a real issue--but, I have not tried to re-trace my steps yet to see where the trail of breadcrumbs takes me. Many
fen extol the praises of e-zines, but I haven’t gone there yet. heck, I have enough trouble handling those that manage to shoot through the (metaphorical) mailslot! I am sure it is my loss.

This year, for the first time in several years, I have (as yet) been unable to come up with some sort of mascot/theme to create a pastel piece of the fan fund auction at Noreascon. I may have to resort to providing an older piece that has just been languishing in the box of miscellaneous bits. I tried contacting the concom a handful of times to ask about sending critters, but perhaps I had the wrong email (aha- that must be the problem, it is a technology conspiracy!) and the missives never arrived. That’ll teach me to trust the ether!

Drat! I was hoping (whine..) that Craig Hilton would provide the illos for his article--but I’ll take what I can get. That makes articles from two fans that I do not normally see presented in such a way--although Ned puts out his own perszine...

John Berry’s piece points out the vagaries of the english language even amongst the lot of us who purport to speak it. After I made some minor translations, I managed to get along
quite well--having a tailgate party indeed...and not inviting their rescuer (is there a more appropriate term? speed bump?) and his wife to join them, they can jolly well hand draw their own illustrations!

As always, thank you for running the photos of the con.

The last note I had from Frank Wu mentioned that he was newly married!

Did Colombo really drive a Toyota? I thought it was Peugeot, but since I really did not think about it much- Joe Major is probably right.

Interesting cover on #20, by Frank Wu--shades of years long past.

Yeah, losing Julie Schwartz was a loss for all of fandom.

I am assuming ( a dangerous thing to do, I know) that the souvenir/program book for Noreascon is what will manage to get to those of us who have a supporting membership--right? It sounds as if it is going to be a humdinger.... Quite a few worldcons ago (yeah, back in the Stone Age)--I forget which one, there was a booklet that was placed on each seat in the auditorium where the Hugos were to be presented. This little booklet was a ghreat idea! It highlighted each and every nominee, specifically at the time when they should be getting the accolades that befitted their accomplishments. To my knowledge- no worldcon has done the same thing since then...and it was such a nice memento.

Ah, now you know why Alexis (Gilliland) is such a fannish treasure--a fan who does it all and does it so very well!

Well.well...Craig Hilton ( the Ghood Doctor) appears again and he still is not illustrating his words...but inmformation Sherlockian is too good to pass up even without his illustrations.

Jerry (Kaufman)-chuckle--if you think Rich Dengrove’s article has a lot of sentence fragments, you should have seen his similar article for his own zine Jomp Jr. before I read it and tried to get him to clean up all the clauses he persisted in dressing up as full sentences. At first I don’t think he believed me, but as the re-writes came, I think he got the message. I think that the final version that appeared in his own zine had taken care of almost all of them.

Once again, I want to thank you for the super remembrances and documentation you have provided for the life of Julie Schwartz--obviously a labor of love.

I have continued nattering on-if you want the continuation- use it, if not, please let me know. I am trying to get the Tim Kirk fanartist article for you--honest!

Sheryl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home